The lights were dark as we entered stage for the Liza Minelli set, the last performer of the first act. Our final dress rehearsal, and my fellow dancers and I are so excited to finally be opening the next day. We start dancing our original Fosse dance moves to the song "Blackbird." As we pose and bend in awkward ways around the stage, I notice that the live band behind me is looking at me like there is something wrong. I think nothing of it and continue dancing....just as my fellow dance mate Linda looks at me with her eyes huge...I begin to think that something is up. I'm dressed in black fish nets, a black leotard, top hat, black character shoes, and white gloves. My leotard does not fit mind you, it rides up my ass, to where I have a constant wedgie and I can't do anything about it on stage...
Oy vey...the number is over, and we run up the stairs to our dressing room to change in to our next costume. I look in the mirror and shout.."oh my god, my underwear is hanging out of my leotard!" Linda exclaims, " I know Laura...I couldn't say anything while we were on stage." Me: "Shit."
Ok, exaggeration..but you get the point.
Point is: I looked like a 5 year old who just started taking ballet lessons who wears her underpants underneath her leotard. But, im almost 23, and this was a final dress rehearsal. Who wears underpants underneath a leotard anyways? I don't ever, except for this particular moment ( it's a costume)...and I was so incredibly embarassed. I threw a character shoe at a chair...that's how mad I was.
*Friends, don't ever wear the wrong underpants underneath a costume. And...never wear underpants underneath a leotard.
"If you are never scared, embarassed, or hurt, it means you never take chances." - Julia Soul.
Thanks for sharing this cute story and letting it all hang out!
ReplyDelete